While Rob updated the NN web page, Greta and I chased squirrels around the bureau and picked up pretty autumn leaves. It was turning into such a nice Sunday that suddenly our grocery shopping plan seemed incredibly lame. So we made a slight detour and headed to the National Zoo!
Of course, we were totally unprepared for such an excursion and had left Greta's stroller on the front steps. To avoid renting a stroller for $8.00, we signed up for a one-year, Friends of the National Zoo, membership. Which let us rent the stroller for $3.00, scored Greta a little panda bear and animal crackers, and means we will now get monthly magazines with lots of Zoo news. There are other perks (like free parking), but the neatest thing is since we are now members, I think we will visit more often.
Greta's favorite exhibit was the Shrew, which obeyed her beckoning and came right up to her.


She also enjoyed the giraffe and overhead orangutans. Rob was fond of the hippo, and I loved the pandas as much today as I did more than 25 years ago. Click to watch our slideshow.
Post-zoo and nap, Greta and I braved the Sunday commissary crowd. I have finally wise up when it comes to having my groceries bagged. I have all of the fridge/freezer items bagged in plastic, and all the cupboard/bathroom stuff in paper. That way, when I get home and only have one free hand for groceries, and Greta only has patience for one trip from the car, I load up an arm with items that must be put away, and return after her bedtime for everything else. Hmmm... perhaps I need to submit that "Mom tip" to Parenting magazine...
While Rob attended the Redskins game with Dudley, Greta and I played in the mud puddles and very wet sandbox at the playground. Will post pictures of that adventure tomorrow. Now it is WAY past bedtime!
A parking sticker for the zoo. We better become friends with you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteOnly $55 for a FONZ membership, and part of it is deductible, I think. Plus, Jay will eat $55 worth of animal crackers, no problem.
ReplyDelete