That's a question I've asked myself a lot since November of last year, when I basically stopped eating anything but fresh fruit and vegetables and proteins because a doctor I had just met the day before convinced me I was on course to shuffle off this mortal coil. I ignored the hunger pangs and the mood swings by concentrating instead on the milestones along the way -- seeing a number that started with 1 on the scales for the first time in decades, jogging 3 miles without breathing heavy, buying new belts, then new suit coats, then pretty much a whole new wardrobe with medium shirts and skinny jeans. After a pair of excellent follow-up visits with the doc where all my blood results came back in the normal range, I needed new motivation. And so I called our life insurance agent and reminded him that in 2007 when we purchased our first policies, he said that since my "build and blood pressure" placed me in their high-risk category, I had a one-time option to get re-examined at some point in the future if my health profile changed enough to lower my premiums. He probably has to legally say that to all his overweight clients and I'm certain most of them never take him up on it. So to answer this post's headline -- yes, it's worth $656 annually.

No comments:
Post a Comment