Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Niagara Falls, y'all

Road tripped to the western cliff of New York on Tuesday/Wednesday to visit the site of PEF's 2021 Convention, COVID willing. The Niagara Visitors' Bureau was very happy to see us.  Apparently we'll be their first "city-wide" convention since the pandemic.  So after touring the convention center and more hotel rooms than I've ever seen, they took us to a nice restaurant attached to the Doubletree Hotel and said we could order anything we want.  I was the only one to choose the most expensive item on the menu, an 8 oz. filet mignon, for $42. And just to punish them I tacked on a side salad for $12.  They're lucky I didn't opt for the $24 baked potato. The salad was non-descript, but since I didn't order any ala carte sides, the meat came like this:

It drew more than a few stares from my dinner companions, half colleagues and half group sales managers from the city's various hotels. But I housed that meat -- finishing long before the rest of them picked through their sea bass or pasta or chicken dishes.

In other news, saw the falls for the first time since Oct. 11, 1999, our second night as a married couple, when we flew out of Buffalo back to Denver. We were on the Canadian side for that overnight, though, and now I must agree with the conventional opinion that the "Horseshoe Falls" are more impressive.



The Niagara Falls, Ontario, skyline as seen from Niagara Falls, N.Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment