Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mother-Daughter love

We know in our hearts that the teenage years will be tough. These kids who needed us every day, who loved us unconditionally and couldn't even wipe their own arse without help, will forget all that and enter some internal hell where their hormones and their head are in constant battle.


Carey got a small taste of it last night on the drive home from school. It was First Friday -- a tradition Carey started about a year ago. The first Friday of each month, she and the kids watch a movie together and then fall asleep in Greta's bed. The catch is they need to agree on what movie to watch. Last night Lincoln wanted to try "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Greta wanted "Annie." That disagreement led to some raised voices in the car and Greta bolted for the backyard when they got home. Eventually she came inside and ran upstairs saying, "I'm going to write a note."

When she came back down for dinner, this was the note:

I'm never coming down. I mean my word!

P.S. I'm sorry.

Signed,

Your ex-daughter, for at least until this dinner is over!

Here are the combatants this morning, peacefully watching "Annie" over breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment