Sunday, October 10, 2010

This one goes to 11...

One decade and one year ago today, we stood in an old wooden church in Ithaca, N.Y., and recited these words to each other:

I will make my home in your heart from this day forward.
Carey, you are my closest friend.
I ask for nothing more from life than that I may live mine with you.
I promise to stand by your side forever -- through laughter and tears, when weak or strong.
I pledge to you my trust, my faith, my loyalty and my never-ending love.
You are my confidant, my soulmate, the one I adore.
Publicly and without hesitation, I commit myself to you.

As a writer who never stops rewriting, I'd like to change that last phrase, which now sounds a little stilted. How about:

In front of our family and friends, I commit myself to you.

Our visit with some of our best friends concludes today with an afternoon of picking apples. The sun looks like it's going to cooperate and I hope to get some amazing photos of my beautiful family. I'm a very, very lucky man.

No comments:

Post a Comment