Happy 3rd Birthday, Lincoln!
You have grown up so much in the past year, I hardly know where to begin. If you look at this, and this, and then this, I think you'll see what I mean.
But no matter how big you get, you'll always be my baby. I miss you so much since I returned to work in January. I can't believe after spending nearly every minute of your life with you for your first two and a half years, I am lucky to get two and a half hours a day with you during the week. The adjustment has had its growing pains, for sure, but we're soldiering on. Thankfully your awesome Dad has dutifully recorded your many milestones, so that we can always look back on this year of terrific and sometimes terrible twos, which prepped you for what I think may be tiring, but thrilling, threes!
So who are you, right now? You are a sweet but sneaky little fellow. You can turn on the charm, and are irresistibly cute. You still love to cuddle, but are definitely asserting your independence. You tell everyone "I'm a big kid now!" And that is so very true. You spell your name, get excited when you see the letter "L" in anything, and love to be "it" when we play hide and seek so you can count. You just had your first, true, big kid haircut a couple of weeks ago, where the #6 razor took away the last of your baby hair. When I look at you now, I can't help but shake my head in amazement. You are growing up so fast!
Your favorite color is black, your favorite clothing features Batman and Spiderman. I'm thankful that your infatuation last winter with "Bad Guys" like Facilier from The Princess and the Frog has given way to favoring superheroes. You now want to "Get the villain!" and enjoy saving damsels (or animals) in distress, which makes playing with your sister lots of fun. And despite your love of action, you will still dress up in your sister's fairy wings and heels to play with her when she tires of your adventures.
I must admit that you've acquired a fascination with weapons that initially worried me...you want bat-a-rangs like Batman uses, and after watching The Fox and The Hound you declared that you'll have a gun and hunt someday. You were elated at a birthday party recently when you realized there were squirt guns in the party bag: "MOM!!! I HAVE A GUN!!!" I have no idea how to respond to the definite "boyness" that is you.
If anyone asks what you want to be when you grow up, you say, without hesitation, "A scuba diver!" You love books about exploring the ocean, and want to learn to swim, snorkel, and dive. When we play the "I'm thinking of..." game, you ALWAYS think of a scuba diver, much to Greta's delight. When I ask you what you plan to dream about at night, 90% of the time it involves The Big Blue. Grandpa Jerry just drew a picture of a scuba diver for you, and you think it is how you will look when you grow up.
You love to run, as well as throw and kick balls. You can climb like a monkey and jump like one, too. You are so much fun to play with! Daddy just got you your first ball and glove and can hardly wait to play catch with you. And I can't wait to watch.
I love you, Lincoln. And I love being your mom. You definitely can put me through the paces some days, but even your belligerence is a blessing, as it helps me work on my patience. I look forward to the coming year, as you continue to grow and discover the world around you. Three will certainly be a charm! Happy birthday to you!
What she said. I love you, my little kid, my bug, my Lincoln David Merrill.
ReplyDelete