Thursday, December 10, 2009

Helping Parent Day 4 at Weekday Nursery School

Greta and I had a great time at preschool today. Here are the highlights:

~ We played with a doll house identical to the one I had in 1976, which brought back a flood of memories from lazy summer afternoons spent on the upstairs back porch with my sisters.


~We celebrated Sweden's Saint Lucia's Day with ginger snaps, and made faux candle crowns. Greta proudly told everyone that Emma Bailey was her friend and that Emma's mom is Swedish.




~The letter of the week is J, and I learned about an unfortunate jaguar who drove a car, traveled far, and got stuck in tar.

~The kids had a blast mixing molding magic (two parts yellow to one part red and one part blue) to make brown, and then cut out gingerbread boys and girls. They listened to The Cajun Gingerbread Boy story, and were excited to receive Grandma Vickie's postcard from the Erie Canal, where their run-away cookie was spotted on a boat. (The teacher, Miss Liz, also called the Merrill Family "superstars" because Greta's grandparents were the only families who sent postcards documenting the escapades of their sneaky little cookie; Pat and Jerry spotted it last week in the Adirondacks!)














~The kids learned about Hanukkah, played with dreidels (excitedly calling out, "I got the Gimel!"), and sang a fun song that involved jumping like a magic dreidel, melting like a menorah candle, and sizzling like a potato lakte.


I can hardly wait for my next helping parent day in January, as it will be my first vacation day from my new job!

2 comments:

  1. You each have referenced Carey's new job yet I do not see any mention of what she will be doing. I recommend that be your next blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll never tell. It's highly immoral and illegal. But it pays well.

    ReplyDelete