Saturday, March 7, 2009
Zoo day
We had a wholly unoriginal idea this morning and went to the zoo on the first warm day of the late winter/early spring. But we got there early and the crowds weren't too bad. It was a treat watching Lincoln take it all in. Last time I was there with him he could barely toddle. This time he was off like a shot as soon as we got through the gate. Didn't spend a minute in the stroller. I spent a lot of time practicing my photography. I'm taking an adult school class in digital photography and this week's lesson is depth of field. Mess with the f-stop and shutter speed until the foreground is in focus and the background is blurred. Let me know how you think I did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Overall, I think you did fine.
ReplyDeleteI would be interested to know what settings you found worked best. Maybe we could video chat some time this week.
The Av setting is brilliant, since you only have to adjust the aperture. A low number (open aperture) works best. The pre-set Portrait setting does basically the same thing, but it's best for tight shots of people. If you're trying to do it manually (M), then you need an open aperture (f-3.5 or so... I couldn't get mine to go much lower than that) and a shutter speed of about 1/60.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering what settings you would be using. I didn't know if you would use M or Av. The lens/focal length also makes a difference. What lens were you using?
ReplyDeleteYeah, the whole exercise made me want a longer lens! My Canon XSi came stock with only 18-55m. Didn't get the longer one you have. Maybe next Christmas!
ReplyDelete