Friday, November 28, 2008

Eat your heart out, pilgrims!

Carey is a big Thanksgiving fan. Bigger than me by about a factor of 10. She has very fond memories of big meals and family togetherness. I remember eating too many olives and pickles and spoiling the traditional spread. Oh, and the kids' table, I remember that. But I've never really anticipated the holiday or planned anything special. Which is why I'm glad I married someone who does. After we got home from the parade, Carey spent four hours in the kitchen while I tired out the kids, both of whom napped from about 3-430. I didn't ask any questions and just stayed out of her way. I did advise the night before, when she was planning the menu, that her mind was bigger than her stomach. Her one concession was to drop the mashed potatoes. So here's the menu, culled from Epicurious.com and Cook.com:
  • Grilled pear salad with bacon, gorgonzola and warm shallot dressing
  • Sauteed sugar snap peas
  • Spinach cheddar casserole
  • Parmesan-roasted butternut squash
  • Cranberry herb stuffing
  • Whole cranberry jelly
  • Kettle-fried and oven-roasted turkey breast
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Dutch apple and caramel cheesecake
Apologies, again, for the camera. Poorly focused on the dish shots and red-eye problems galore. Maybe Santa will bring that Canon XSi? Now THAT'S something to anticipate!

No comments:

Post a Comment