Sunday, June 3, 2018

June!

Another jam-packed weekend in the 518! Man, I love summer. Friday evening was the annual Craig Carnival, and of course Lincoln had fun despite his initial protests. Greta and her Girl Scout Troop ran the face painting booth and I was their first customer.

Saturday it was an afternoon in Lake George to attend the retirement party of Greta's favorite 6th grade teacher, Mr. Pletman (English). He bought a cottage up there last year in preparation for this day, and though he refuses to call it retirement (he prefers "repositioning"), future Niskayuna 6th graders are going to be bereft of his teaching methods. Greta fondly recalls writing and illustrating her first "novel," drafting a personal memoir at the ripe old age of 11, and creating a book of poetry. Much like the beloved Mrs. Spinelli who taught Carey and me in 6th grade, his methods were non-traditional but for the kids who dove in, it was a year full of life lessons. Naturally I didn't get many photos, but here's Mr. Pletman (standing) and Greta, sitting, as well-wishers gave a few speeches.



Sunday we rested in the morning, then the girls planted flowers at Town Hall (that overactive Scout troop again) while Linc and I biked 4 miles. At 4pm, we invited neighbors to a local park for a kickball game. Carey's hoping to make it a regular thing as she slowly but surely tries to recreate the community spirit we enjoyed in South Orange here in Niskayuna. No photos of the game, which ended in a 7-7 tie, kids vs. grownups, but if it does continue, I'll be sure to post some down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment