

We spent a couple hours wandering the banquet rooms of the Desmond Hotel Sunday at an event called Girls World Expo. At one point Greta and Carey attended a 30-minute presentation that was not open to those of us with Y chromosomes. "What Do Boys Really Think?" it was called. There was a panel of about a dozen teenage boys and a male coach moderating the discussion. I wasn't there, but this scene is easy for me to imagine. Apparently during the Q&A portion of the presentation, a young girl asked a question and the coach recognized her query with a smile and said, "thank you, sweetheart." Up went Carey's hand. "Excuse me? You've been calling all your players gentlemen. Do you know her? Then you can't call her sweetheart." The man offered a curt apology and tried his best to move on, but I know he was broken inside and won't ever be the same. Or maybe he will. He came up to Carey later and thanked her, vowing to be much more cognizant of his salutations in the future. Carey explained that with all the the news lately, she's vowed to call out every man who calls her or other girls or women honey or sweetheart or
anything else inappropriate. In case you were wondering, Carey and I stopped talking to each other months ago. I don't want to risk it.
No comments:
Post a Comment